It’s calving time on the farm! Spring time is magic time, especially in Missouri. After slogging through the winter dullness of the land, and rescuing cows from frozen ponds, comes the delight of the frolicking calf! And apparently overly cheesy references to birth…
In lieu of this magical celebration, I’ve made you….Magic Bars!!
And not just any Magic Bars…PALEO Magic Bars.
These bars are LOADED with coconut, gooey chocoolate, and coconut condensed milk. Obviously, being Paleo, they are also gluten free, and they can EASILY be Vegan – just by subbing the egg with 1 flax egg. Substitutions will be noted below. In the meantime….here’s some more dessert food porn.
Hey, if you’re gonna hype up food porn, spring time calving season over Easter Weekend is the time to do it.
Total Time: 45 minutes Makes 12 Bars
You Will Need:
- 1 Can Coconut Milk (full fat)
- 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp maple syrup, divded
- 1/2 C Almond Flour
- 1/2 C Coconut Flour
- 1/3 C Coconut Oil
- 1 Egg (for vegans, use flax egg: 1 T flax meal + 3 T of water – mix and let sit 3 min.)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 C + 1/4 C Chocolate Chips, divided
- 1/2 C Walnuts chopped
- 1/3 C unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and greased down 9×9 inch baking pan.
- Make the coconut sweetened coconut milk by pouring coconut milk and 1/4 C maple syrup into a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil, then simmer for 25 minutes, or until 1 cup of liquid remains.
- WHILE making the coconut milk, start the cookie crust. Pour almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, 2 Tbsp maple syrup, egg, salt, baking soda, and vanilla into food processor and pulse until ball of dough forms. Press dough into the bottom of the pan. Pat it out evenly until the dough is level across the pan. Bake for 15 minutes, until the edges are brown and pulling away from the pan.
- Remove crust from oven, and cover with 1 Cup of the chocolate chips, walnuts and shredded coconut, in that order. Pour over the coconut condensed milk. Add the remaining 1/4 C of chocolate chips and a few more pinches of coconut.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for at least 45 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!